wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Kinsey Cover up
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: The Kinsey Cover up
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:51 am 

Kinsey is a messed-up story.
I mainly checked in to thank Dennis for turning me on to Summerhill and A.S. Neill. "A New View of Childhood" by itself has made finding this joint a profitable experience for me. Finished it yesterday after milking it as long as I could. I'm debating now whether or not to scatter copies around in high school parking lots or not, now.

Kinsey, actually, may have been an example of somebody who came to freedom a little too late. The reason Neill put an upper limit on new pupil age for his school (I forget--twelve or thirteen?) is because he found kids too often needed more than just a few years to recover.

PBS did a fairly extensive documentary covering Kinsey a few years ago, including emphasizing the authoritarian father he broke from. I think I can probably speak for the average viewer, who probably started out cheering, really, as Kinsey held to his principles, fighting
a clearly hypocritical status quo early on. I personally felt myself getting queasier and queasier as they described his mid and late career--the pedophile issue certainly did come up--and then toward the end they mentioned his turn toward masochism as he aged, picturing blood dripping off a straight razor. So I turned off the TV that night pretty well just feeling sick and creeped-out.

The point in the second video that erroneous information from scientific sources too often becomes embedded is well-taken. The "need" to drink eight to ten glasses of water per day to stay healthy is a good example.

PBS "American Experience" Kinsey film address:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/kinsey/filmmore/index.html
I think that's the documentary I saw.

Steve

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: The Kinsey Cover up
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Kinsey is hardly known in Europe but apparently he made his mark in the US. I haven't seen the movie but what I was thinking is that he lived a perverted lifestyle and manipulated research to create an illusion of normality among the people. As if he wanted to convince himself that his behavior was accepted if it was shared by many others. I think this is the case with many people advocating 'sexual liberation'. Repression has very little to do with sex, it's everything with trusting your body and accepting it. I think it was Alice Miller who once wrote that a parent who respects the needs of a child, will never develop the need to act out perverted needs. Nor does it need to be educated about sex.

Summerhill is a classic book. Every teenager should read it. His autobiography, Neil! Neil! Orange Peel! was also very interesting to read.

Dennis

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]