wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:37 pm 
I started a new topic as we are no longer commenting on the Ferenzci/Ferenczi fracas.

Shelley - to clarify:
I'm not sure why I continue to participate in the message boards. I haven't really learned anything new about Janov's methods that I didn't know already from reading his books. Sometimes I don't visit for weeks on end, and at other times curiosity draws me in as a regular visitor for a while. I've read some of the extracts from the PSG that were published as articles on the Primal-Page, but the message boards are enough for me.

I can see Erron's point. I don't really believe a post-primal person would want to get involved with endless debates about theoretical issues. My guess is that they would take one look at all the sniping and arguing and say "I'm outta here! Bye, bye." The 'mythical creature' may be a figment of the imagination in those who still struggle to get their feelings validated by emotionally stunted people. I doubt that a person who shuns avoidable struggles with difficult people would wear a T-shirt with Janov's label "post-primal" on it. I think they would be more likey to campaign for social change than bolster the enrolment of a private clinic.

Regarding autobiographies:
I'm not sure how you would define 'unconventional'. The ones that are most abundant are by show-business celebrities. In a sense, they are not 'conventional' members of society. There's also a series of books by Dave Pelzer, but my childhood wasn't much like his so I didn't buy them. But there are quite a few candid autobiographies by non-celebrities. Mostly I've found them by browsing the Biographies section at my local library. By and large they are individuals who would have seemed quite ordinary to their friends and colleagues if they hadn't taken the plunge and written about what went on behind closed doors in the family home when they were young.

ian copeland

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:26 am 
Ian,

Thanks for the clarification.

I check out the message boards mostly for entertainment. There's a part of me that enjoys the sniping and arguing, although I generally don't have any desire to participate. Occasionally I get triggered to speak up. I notice that's often when some absurdity might hurt someone -- as when the suggestions was made that Knecht and Ferenczi were the same person.

For me, PSG has been more about making personal connections. I now have relationships outside the group with several people I met there.

And, both at PSG and on the message boards, I've occasionally learned something valuable. I doesn't happen often, but I like listening to people who sees things in different ways.

Until a post-primal person stands before me in the flesh, I'm going to have a hard time believing that this is anything but a myth. I've met a couple of people who claimed to be post-primal, claimed to have worked through all their significant issues. Frankly, the people I met just seemed to have developed new blind spots.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want to be post-primal. I'd be extremely bored without my inner struggles.

Shelley

Report this post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]