wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:50 pm 
Has anyone any experience with trying to integrate severe states of helpless -feelings on one's own?If so how did you manage to overcome them to at least be able to function on a basic level when the feelings are very early ie. feeling in a regressive state and being unable to verbalise it 'cos the helpless-feelings are blocking one from being able to.
any input very welcome. Thanks.

I'm thinking of just trying some re-directive therapy as explained by oops i forget her name but she regressed to a literal baby-cot stage and somehow overcame it to earn her Phd.in Psychology so there must be a way forward out of this Hell.lol.

Rip van Winkle , Ellie? :) Who has sadly passed on now but any information on her would be a real bonus! thanks.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:51 pm 
Hmmm, that's a tough one. Are you asking how a person can process/integrate these type of helpless feelings on one's own (i.e. without a therapist)? I have processed those type of early feelings, however, it was with the help of a therapist. And it required lots of touch, holding, nurturing on the therapist's part to help me with the integration work.

However, if you are working on this by yourself you are more limited in the tools that are available to you. I guess I would ask the question -- what does an infant baby have available? She can make sounds -- so you could try working with various sounds (perhaps soft little baby sounds). That assumes you can verbalize the emotion (which I know at first I could not). You could try working with fantasy images/dreams. You could try working with touching your body with your own hands (at times when I was in this early regressed state I felt I was using my hands to plug up holes that were leaking my life energy out of my body). I also spent many many hours laying there in that frozen numbed-out state and that was part of the "feeling the feelings" process as well.

There can be great benefits with doing this early type of regressive therapy. However, there are also many pitfalls. It is difficult enough to work through this type of material with the support of a strong therapist; I would be concerned about the possibility of falling into a state of dysfunction if you are trying to do this work on your own. There are some therapists who will work with you over the phone. Perhaps you should have a name or two ready in case you need to call someone.

Linda S.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:52 pm 
What I would say is that besides getting to those early feelings of helplessness there would need to be discussion of current life feelings and problems etc. I thing this is how it gets integrated. In a primal session, a usual starting place is current life triggers. After primalling, and getting to early stuff it is useful to talk about those same things again with the new insights. A good primal therapist will try to make sure that happens.

This is one reason why self primalling can be difficult. Best would be a therapist to help with this, but a primal buddy would do or just a good friend.

Phil

Report this post

Post subject: Anger vs Helplessness
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:53 pm 
A great many people have found that anger and helplessness are linked at the level of the original trauma.

So, you may want to work with your anger and rage. Integrating that kind of "material" is likely to reduce or eliminate the helplessness.

Good luck!

Report this post

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]