wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 pm 
The author of a parenting blog wrote:

Quote:
Remember my post on Crying and Sleeping? Remember the "leave them until they throw up and let them fall asleep in their vomit" routine? Remember the "enter the room coldly and don't make eye contact" routine? Well, Dr. Phil not only advocated that, he went about two steps further.
(Dr. Phil's House = Abu Ghrayb)

Who is the equivalent media psychologist in the UK? I was browsing through the UK list of anti-spanking supporters and found:

Oliver James, Clinical Psychologist, Author & Broadcaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_James

The bio is a bit dull. Then I noticed he had a column in Adbusters Magazine, so I visited his website. One of his books puts the blame for the current depression epidemic fairly and squarely on selfish capitalism:

http://www.selfishcapitalist.com/selfish.html

But for most other psychological problems he says the way we were cared for in the first six
years is the crucial factor:

http://www.selfishcapitalist.com/they_f_you.html

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

I've just watched (partly) an episode of Dr. Phil on school bullying. Seemed to me a good show because it's being determined that bullying is always wrong in whatever form or shape, and that not doing anything about it is just as worse as being the bully yourself. Kids who commit suicide as a result (or a main factor) of school bullying is apparently happening so much, that it's called bullycide. In Sweden schools are now legally obliged to actively stop bullying, but there's no program for it. It's up to every school how to choose the methods to stop it. So any kid (the parents of the child that is) who is being bullied can sue the school.

What the parent of that blog has to say on him, is also clear. You have already a situation that is unbearable to the parents and who don't know what to do, and Dr. Phil's approach is to be tough and sticking to it. That part of him is of course not very good or inspiring. But how does anyone present an alternative approach on national TV? If you could show people a better way, that works for everyone, especially the child, then of course people would do that.

Dennis

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]