wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:13 am 

I'm a medical writer, scientist, and a primal person. For the past few years, I've been collecting papers which support one part of primal theory -- that early life experience affects later mental health -- but Shelley is right, as yet there is no direct, incontrovertible evidence to support the main premise of primal -- that one one can experience repressed pain and memories to "cure" neurosis (whatever that means).

Of course, anyone who has done primal therapy knows that is what happens, but it hasn't been shown scientifically. All the case studies in the world don't count. What is needed is a controlled outcomes trial comparing several therapies against no therapy. Include brain imaging and physiological studies and you might just show it's real -- from a scientific point of view.

Is Shelley still on this list? I would like to answer many of the points she posted months ago.

If there is anyone on this list who would like to discuss how primal could be studied scientifically, please contribute. However, I'm not interested in arguing about the validity of science as method for studying primal theory. I believe it is, if done properly. And when it is done properly, I think that Janov will be vindicated.

But then, that's just my belief. :wink:

Bruce

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:21 am 
What I think is that scientific studies will be able to show that primal therapy is effective. But other therapies have already been shown to be "effective". It is hard to compare the effectiveness of differing therapies since it is somewhat subjective.
People who have tried different modalities and later successfully primalled know the difference.

For primal, I think it should be possible to show physiological changes.
Yet, I don,'t see how any studies can prove what primallers experience really happens. That is the missing link.

Phil

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:32 pm 
Hi Bruce.

I'm around. I look forward to your comments.

Shelley

Report this post

Post subject: Science Is The Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:49 pm 

You would need, ideally, sets of twins who have had the same traumatic backrgound, or, failing that, siblings who have had the same background and problems.

You could do a study of three hundred people in crisis judged clinically to be suffering overall at the same level.

Assign one hundred to primal, one hundred to talk therapy and one hundred to a group which gets no treatment at all.

Then, a year or two later, you evaluate the progress, number of symptoms and level of intensity and compare. It would work.

The real problem with primaling and Reichian therapy is that it goes against the entire Western outlook on mind's dominance over the body. Finding that the mind's job is to help guide feeling, an experience of the conjuntion of body and mind, sensation and interpretation, into consciousness and into expression and "the world" violates deeply held cultural taboos among intellectuals, elites and the like.

That is why Reichian therapists have found that working class people are better at deep feeling therapy than better educated people.

Roy

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]