wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

During Arnold Schwarzenegger’s campaign for governor, some pretty controversial statements from his past surfaced in the media that he later in public apologized for. He had once said he admired Hitler for his verbal abilities. He had also told a magazine reporter in an interview in August 1977, about participating in an orgy with other bodybuilders, noting that "everybody jumped on" the woman involved and "took her upstairs where we all got together." The California Republican added that not every muscleman participated in the gangbang, "just the guys who can fuck in front of other guys. Not everybody can do that. Some think that they don't have a big-enough cock, so they can't get a hard-on." (For more details about his opinion on women: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/arnoldoui1.html

Recently Stina Lundberg interviewed Schwarzenegger, which was broadcasted on Swedish television.

Stina: You had a tough upbringing and you were punished in a very hard way. How?

Arnold: I wouldn’t say in a hard way. I would say the culture in Austria was in that time much more physical so if you did something wrong and your parents didn’t like it, you could smack. They were physical. Or if brought back bad grades, they would take a little branch and they hit you on your behind. Or if I would do homework and you would get up after an hour of reading and writing, my mother would take the yardstick and hit me on the hands and says: finish your home work you… how dare you get up. I remember there was one time in a school with parent-teacher day, every parent came in and as soon they were done talking with the teacher at the desk they would come to the class and they smack the kid and they walk out .
(Arnold is laughing loudly and Stina in the background is laughing with him) Everyone was laughing about it. It wasn’t something personal, it was like everyone got smacked, the whole class got smacked eventually. Especially when those farm women came in, those farm women… (both still laughing loudly) And when they smack their kids… That’s just the way… Now it’s different.

Stina: But you must have suffered? Now we laugh about it but it…

Arnold: NO, that what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. Remember that. (Big grin on his face.)

He doesn’t deny the abusive acts against him as a child but he has repressed the feelings of humiliation and pain. He turns it into a positive thing and laughs about it.

Later in the interview:

Stina: So how are you to your children?

Arnold: I think that I try to be as strict as possible and so is my wife. And I like bringing some of the European methods into it.

Stina: The physical?

Arnold: Not the physical, but just you know that you have to make your own bed, no one is allowed in the room other than you, that you have to clean your own room, you have to wash your clothes, you have to do the laundry, you have to clean up the plates after you eat, don’t wait for someone else, or ask someone else.

Stina: That’s very European; that is what it looks like in my household, too.

Arnold: And what I’m really very disciplined about is turning off the lights and the power because when I grew up, my mother when I walked out of the room and I didn’t turn off the lights, she was… you know…. She literally… it was the end of the world.

Stina: And no TV during weekdays?

Arnold: No, we don’t have TV in the weekdays. And turning off the lights… So I have–

Stina: That’s very hard to teach the children.

Arnold: No, it’s very easy.

Stina: Oh, teach me…

Arnold: Here’s the trick: if they don’t turn off the lights and they walk out and they go to school, then I unscrew the light bulb and I show them in the afternoon, see there’s one light bulb missing up there. You have 6 more to go in this room. And he is: I don’t care about this one and the second time he does it, I unscrew the second one. Eventually he was in the dark in the room. (Both laughing loudly again) And it was scary, he had to get all his stuff, he was like four years old and he was freaking out. So I said I’m not going put it on until you really understand that you got to turn off the lights.

Opposed to his poor parents, there’s really no need for multimillionaire Schwarzenegger to react so extreme when it comes to saving electricity. But in order to justify his parents’ abusive behavior, he needs to rationalize it and continues acting out on it.

Dennis

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:17 pm 
Yes, that's true -- until people deal with their pain they will continue to act it out, project it, and even idealize it.

I have a cousin who was talking about how they got smacked when they were children -- she had a big smirk on her face, as if she was remember this with fondness -- and said "but we needed it".

Linda S.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:35 pm 

Looks like he gained some insight into how he was treated as a child in Austria.... Apparently, he no longer condones spanking.... Attitudes can change, although one comment responding to the post said things that were sick.... There's still a long way to go....

See: http://glennsacks.com/blog/?p=118

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]