wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:58 am 
Site Admin

I came across an old newspaper clipping I had saved, which I translated into English, about the attitude towards parents in China.

Respect For the Parents

The young PR woman of the beautiful Shangri La Hotel in exciting Singapore, comes from China. And this morning she gives at breakfast a good impression of the respect that the Chinese have for parents…

“If you do something naughty to your parents, you’re not just doomed, but also the children you’ll get and their children. It’s the worst crime that you can commit: Falling away from one’s parents, insulting one’s parents or causing grieve in them. You have to treat the elderly with love and respect. I’ll never start eating before my grandparents – who are living with our family – first have taken a bite.
In the morning when I see them, I’ll always greet them and ask politely how they are doing and if they feel well. Those are century old traditions. We are raised to always show honor for our parents and that tradition has fortunately not disappeared yet.
We also keep them with us. I don’t want to think of putting them is some elderly home. According to our belief, it will go well with you when you are good to your parents.
Sometimes thousands of Dollars are spent at funerals, so everyone can see what good son or daughter the deceased had. Look at what he or she can spare for the funeral."

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]