wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm 

A couple of months ago the New York Times published an article "Preaching Virtue of Spanking, Even as Deaths Fuel Debate" about a child discipline book published by an evangelical preacher. There's a link to a video of abuse in the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us/de ... nking.html

Most countries which still allow "reasonable chastisement" have laws outlining restrictions in their Civil Code. In Scotland it's different.... a VERY narrow definition of "reasonable chastisement" is enshrined in CRIMINAL law. In Scotland, someone publishing a book like that could face prosecution for inciting criminal behavior.

And in China.... school officials discipline a teacher for inciting corporal punishment:
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/dec/23 ... -other.htm

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

From the NYT article:
Quote:
More than 670,000 copies of the Pearls’ self-published book are in circulation, and it is especially popular among Christian home-schoolers, who praise it in their magazines and on their Web sites.

Holy shit! Why is it that popular to torture your child and to kill its soul at the same time? Why isn't this guy in jail? Together with the other parents who make up an Almighty to justify their inflicted cruelty to children.

Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:19 pm 

Dennis,

I gather that there is a whole bunch of people on FaceBook who have mustered to get the Pearl's page off FB. and the 'Christians' are winning!! Why not beat the shite out of these helpless little ones instead of feeling the agonising pain that was inflicted on their own bodies and souls when they were children. If you cant get back at Mummy and Daddy, well choose your nearest and dearest in the name of God. The most difficult people to educate about this barbaric torture of spanking their children 'for their own good' are the 'Fundamentalist' types. The notion of letting this go is an anathema to them. When I see mothers or fathers hitting a child in a supermarket or wherever, I don't go up and preach to them. I 'smile' at the perpetrator with a look which as my daughter says could kill in two seconds. The reaction usually is one of slight embarrassment on the part of the spanker. In the meantime, all I can do is encourage my daughters who have sons to demonstrate among their friends that spanking doesn't work in anyone's name. I never had any need to hit my kids. I threatened when they were up to no good, but they used to just laugh at me, and it became a game. I'm sure there are petition sites to get Pearl's book banned, if not, perhaps someone here might like to start it....

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

In my experience, parents who beat their children are some of the hardest people to convince that it's cruel. You remember I and a few others used to visit other forums to try to talk sense into the parents and always mass panic broke out. And no where in the Bible says Jesus: beat your children. But I've never managed to convince a beating parent that it is wrong and cruel, not even when I'm in the calmest mood. They defend their belief because they need to defend themselves against the buried pain. And with god on your side, you can't lose.

The book should have never reached hundreds of thousands of sales. I'm sure there are petitions. You need a lawyer and a lawsuit to bring that man some jail time. Crimes against humanity, that's what it is.

Dennis

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]