Stettbacher and Alice Miller: Doing self-therapy

Implications and information on various therapies and self-therapy that deal with the emotional connection of childhood experiences
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

Just a quick note on the TV series Prisoners of Childhood, which I mentioned already in this thread, I still have the best episodes on video tape and I'll transfer them to the computer. Once that has happened, you can borrow a copy :wink:

I've also mentioned I had a great interview with Elizabeth Loftus on tape but couldn't find it anywhere and I most likely recorded something over it.

Dennis
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

CC, I can relate to your statement that you lack writing skills (not that I necessarily agree with such statement). I had no writing skills at all before the age of 21. Never would I have guessed that I would spend a great deal of writing later in life. I did do a lot of reading then and I believe that's the basis for any good writer. Because through all what you read, you agree or disagree and your own opinion comes forward and your confidence will grow along.

Regarding Prisoners of Childhood, I have three episodes of which the first one is a documentary about the actors preparing themselves for the roles they played and where they confronted their childhoods. I haven't managed transferring them to the computer yet, because I don't have a DVD burner and seem to have a few computer problems I need to solve first. The episodes are including Dutch subtitles though.

I did find that interview with Elizabeth Loftus, fortunately. This is a great interview because it shows her own motivation so well, why this woman denies repressed memories of child abuse. And yes, also with Dutch subtitles but this is rare footage.

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Sun May 20, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cesar Tort

Post by Cesar Tort »

That's fascinating. I look forward to see that interview in the future.

There is some truth about false memories though: Satanic Ritual Abuse (in the sense of "multiple victims, multiple perpetrators") and UFO abduction "memories" are surely phony.
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

Opponents of the False Memory Syndrome have never denied the existence of false or wrong memories. Supporters of this syndrome however have denied every repressed memory regarding child abuse. To them there is no such thing as repressed memories.

I have a very interesting article on UFO abduction, which is the most rational explanation I have found so far: The Controllers by Martin Cannon. I'll send you this essay via email, Cesar. If anyone else wants to read this lengthy essay, send me a pm.

Dennis
Cesar Tort

Post by Cesar Tort »

[edited to fix apostrophe]

I have a more parsimonious explanation that the admittedly speculative argument by Martin Cannon that memories of alien abductions might have been created in the "abductees" by a secret government mind control program. My more parsimonious explanation is: child abuse! Just take a look at the skeptical view of Colin Ross about Satanic Ritual Abuse, and to the Wikipedia article on Abduction phenomenon, of which I'll quote a couple of sentences:
California based therapist Gwen Dean noted forty-four parallels between alien abduction and satanic ritual abuse (SRA). Both emerged as widespread phenomena in the late 1970s and early 1980s, both often use hypnosis to recover lost or suppressed memory. Furthermore, the scenarios and narratives offered by abductees and SRA victims feature many similar elements: both are typically said to begin when the experiencer is in their youth; both are said to involve entire families and to occur generationally; the alien examination table is similar to the satanic altar; both phenomena focus on genitals, rape, sexuality and breeding;
And also:
It is worth noting that many events reported during purported abductions often have parallels in anthropology, folklore and religion: Especially frequently correlate with certain imagery persistent in shamanic experiences (e.g., surgery-like procedures, foreign objects implanted in the body) and faerie contact stories, for instance. John Edward Mack, for one, suggested that modern abduction accounts should be considered as part of this larger history of visionary encounters
Last edited by Cesar Tort on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

I've continued this topic in another thread
D.R.B.

Post by D.R.B. »

Dennis:
I was curious why this topic is getting more page views than any other. Must there's a direct link from another site. While looking through the posts I noticed your link to http://antipsychiatrie.freepgs.com. I went there and clicked on the Forum link and got this error message: "An sql error occurred while fetching this page." By the way, there have been no new posts at Siding With The Child for a couple of months.
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

The forum of the site http://antipsychiatrie.freepgs.com hasn't been active since January and the site gets fewer hits than this one. Originally I wanted to start a Dutch Forum to lead the people to, who emailed me with questions regarding my articles and requesting more info. But I suppose there's still too much shame surrounding psychiatry and its abuse.

I don't know what happened with that forum going down but I need to remove it and perhaps start over when I find some time for it.

It looks when Daniel isn't responding in his forum, no one of the regulars feels like writing anymore there. But Daniel is alive and well, just busy.

Dennis
Everything I write here is my opinion, not absolute truths but I don't want to start every sentence with[i] in my opinion[/i]...
Prince

Links from other sites

Post by Prince »

You missed the Elisabeth Loftus topic, which is getting more views than this one. Both have contributions from Cesar Tort. Probably he linked to them from Wikipedia pages where he indulges in little wars.