Question about RST

Implications and information on various therapies and self-therapy that deal with the emotional connection of childhood experiences
Alan

Question about RST

Post by Alan »

I admit I knew nothing about RST until I started reading the post on this forum. I did a bit more research and it sounds interesting. More so then I expected. Having been through the Primal process years ago I don?t have that much interest for myself, though I may give it some work in the future and see if anything comes up. The question I have is about how disruptive it is to day to day living? I?ll try and explain that a bit better.

Primaling is a difficult process. I think it?s well worth the hardship, but nevertheless it can be difficult. When I started Primaling years ago I knew (and still know) a number of people who were interested in doing it. Several actually made an attempt but never really got anywhere. I felt a lot of it had to do with the fact that they had at least moderately demanding lives; spouse, children, jobs that required full attention etc. The type of disruption that can and will at times occur while primaling would not be a good thing.

So for anyone who has been through RST I?d like to know how things go on a day to day basis as your going through it. At times can it be very disruptive, moderate, mild. I?m not talking about the effort you but into it, but, as an example, when I was primaling there were a few times when I would innocently stumble on to some hugh piece of the puzzle and before I knew it I was deep into something and hanging on to the here and now by the skin of my teeth. That certainly wasn?t the norm, but it did happen. From what I have read about RST it sounds as if it?s gentler process, at least compared to Primal.

I?d really like to get a first hand account before I start recommending it to anyone.

Thanks
Alan
Dennis
Site Admin

Post by Dennis »

Hi Alan,

You wrote:
I felt a lot of it had to do with the fact that they had at least moderately demanding lives; spouse, children, jobs that required full attention etc. The type of disruption that can and will at times occur while primaling would not be a good thing.
I think this is a major reason why Primal isn't so popular. Because most people do have a demanding life. Question is if it should be demanding? Most of the time we try all kind of roads to travel before we're ready to feel the old suppressed pain. The intellectual knowledge of knowing that current excessive frustration, anger, depression is due to the lack of expression of old pain can help you in re-directing it to the source. When that happens, the only thing that should be on your mind is: just do it. You have that basic right. I felt that during the moments of connecting to old pain that it would last forever, that I would lose my mind permanently. But it doesn't happen. It restores the balance on so many levels. Even on those moments of short but intense re-directing.

Dennis